Monday, July 1, 2013

"Saying I Do After Being a Single Mom"

After grad school in NY in 2005,  I packed up my things and headed back to the west coast. Knowing that I didn't want to move around when A started kindergarten, I decided to settle down in Berkeley and then start looking for jobs nearby.

I stumbled upon a support group for single parents at Bananas, Inc., a local parenting resource center. It was there that I met Rachel Sarah, a fellow single mom. Her daughter was one year older than mine, and they had lived in NY too. Moreover, Rachel was a writer -- a real writer! -- and she had just finished publishing her book, Single Mom Seeking

My stint in Berkeley only lasted six months, since the job I found was in SF and there was no way I was going to cross the Bay Bridge every day on my commute. However, my friendship with Rachel has lasted way beyond the six months.

I was so honored to have her attend my wedding last fall. Here is the lovely write-up she posted on her blog about my special day!

http://singlemomseeking.com/blog/2012/10/saying-i-do-after-being-a-single-mom/

No comments: